Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Skication Preparation

As I mentioned in the last post, the Lag Liv family is headed out on a highly (highly!) anticipated skication on Friday. I first emailed Dinei about using her ski condo about 6 months ago and this trip has been second in anticipation this year only to our countdown for Cora's arrival. As I've written about a million times, I love family vacations- they are the source of the brightest and happiest memories from my generally bright and happy childhood, and they have provided many of my favorite memories with my own little family. Our trips are rarely fancy- we almost always drive and they usually involve cabins or guest rooms and doing our own cooking, but we try to go on one every year and I do love getting away and exploring somewhere new.


From skication 2012; the big kids were so little!

And this year, we get to spend two of those vacation days on skis! Because the only thing better than a regular vacation is a ski vacation. I love skiing, it's probably the only physical activity I like as much and can do as well as JP (though he snowboards, as he corrects me constantly, but I feel like the verb of skiing covers both mediums), and since we don't get to take vacations with just the two of us very often (or ever, actually), it provides the perfect mix of grown-up and family time. JP and I ski/snowboard together all day, enjoying a quick lunch date between runs and lots of snuggling and talking on ski lifts, while the big kids are in ski school and Cora is in childcare, and then we regroup when the lifts close at 4 p.m. and spend the rest of the afternoon and evening together as a family (and then the kids pass out about 6:45 p.m. and JP and I are back to grown-up time!). It's perfect.

But before we get to the potential perfection, we have to pack and drive 14 hours to get there. 14 hours in a mid-sized SUV with a car-seat-hating 12-week-old, with a possible snow storm at the end, just for a special final touch. We've taken tons of long family car trips, so I'm honestly not that concerned about it- L&C are amazing car trippers, JP does all the driving, and I'll be able to jump back to the third row to feed Cora while we drive as necessary, but I'll admit that this is one of our more ambitious itineraries. No, the thing that's getting me down right now is the PACKING. All the stuff for 5 people, including a Cora with her many accoutrements, for 6 days away, including 2 full days in the car (so many snacks and coloring books and entertainment devices!), 2 full days of skiing (puffy ski clothes and many accessories!), and 2 full days of play (snow boots, normal clothes, swim suits because we're mixing it up with a trip to an indoor water park, and so much more!), plus all the baby gear and a stocked first aid kit and so much wine... I've lost control of this sentence, but basically, lots of things are being assembled in our living room to be packed into our not-huge Highlander and I have a lot of lists of things not to forget written on scraps of paper. And I baked cookies for the first time since Christmas because it seemed important to pack those too.

Luckily, the crossbars I thought we already owned when I sent JP over to a coworker's house to borrow their rooftop carrier (my coworker even asked me to double check if we had crossbars before JP drove over and I was like of course! there's bars up there! and JP took my word for it, but then when he popped his head up in the driveway of my friend's house he was like, where did the crossbars go?) were delivered today! We were concerned they wouldn't arrive in time, but JP installed them by flashlight tonight after swim lessons and went back to my coworker's and now we have a snazzy rooftop carrier to store all the puffy ski clothes while the wine and cookies stay snug in the car. So that's a relief.

Also on my packing list to do is the downloading of a few new books for my kindle- any recommendations? I'm at least a year late on a new RRA post, so I promise to do that after we get back, but I need some new authors or series or something. Remember I enjoy the frivolous, the well written historical, paranormal, or occasional modern romance. I need good writing, strong characters, something ridiculous about the plot. My recent favorites include Larissa Ione's Lords of Deliverance series, anything and everything by Kresley Cole, and the entirety of JD Robb's In Death series (thanks to free digital downloads from my local library, those books are like candy). I find a book I like and then read everything the author has ever written and then bounce around helplessly on amazon again, so take pity on my impending 28 hours in the car and let me know if you've read anything fun lately in the comments!

And finally, a picture of Cora today, because she was wearing an adorable sweater dress involving penguins and nobody got to see it but me, even though she was refusing to smile for the iPhone. The girl smiles constantly (constantly! it is so damn adorable), but she is completely entranced by the white rectangle of the phone, rendering the camera phone aspect of the phone nearly useless.


chins!

Summit County or Bust! Cora's pumped.

15 comments:

  1. Hope you guys have the best time! I'm going skiing this weekend too--in Minakami, Japan of all places :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Christine Feehan's Dark Carpathian series yet? It's really good and there's a LOT of books. The first one is Dark Prince. Another good one is Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series- the first one is Halfway to the Grave. Her writing reminds me of J.D. Robb's In Death books, which is one of my all time favorite series. Have fun on your ski trip! I'm green with envy right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just downloaded the first books in both those series- they sound great, thanks!

      Delete
  3. Have you ever read anything by Maeve Binchy? Her books are light, fun reading. There isn't usually anything too crazy in them, but I swear by her if I'm looking for something new. A Circle of Friends is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a few of hers in paperback years ago, but I haven't read Circle of Friends- the synopsis looks exactly like something I'd like, thanks!

      Delete
  4. Marie Force is amazing. She writes a few series' plus some stand alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just downloaded the first book- thanks!

      Delete
  5. Ilona Andrews is a good paranormal romance author - so is Sheryl Nantus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, thanks! Have you read any of Larissa Ione's books? I'm kind of obsessed with the Four Hoursemen series. She had only planned to write 4 books, but now she's finished 5 and has at least one more planned, so I have a new one to countdown to look forward to!

      Delete
  6. Have you read My Husbands Secret ...it was very good...sort of a Pandora's box story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, but it looks good. I now have so many books! I'm certain the kids will give me lots of uninterrupted reading time on the drive...

      Delete
  7. I'm really enjoying the SM Stirling series "The Change". There are three sub series and I'm reading the one that takes place in Oregon. It begins with "Dies the Fire".
    The premise is that an unknown force has caused all electrical functions to cease working. The world is thrown back into a sort of medieval life. Think fiefdoms only with very strong women, often as leaders.
    There may be more warfare than you want but there are also fun ideas about recreating a world when we have limited capability but a long history. And, romance between strong, independent people.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a good bit of warfare, those sound great! I actually just re-read one of my favorite historical series from when I was in high school, the Roselynde Chronicles by Roberta Gellis and was reminded how much I can enjoy war and battle strategy in stories.

      Have you ever read anything by Kathryne Kennedy? Her Elven Lords series sound a bit like the one your describing, but with more magic. I've really enjoyed all of her books.

      Delete
  8. Good luck & have fun. I just finished "Sex With Kings" and it was fascinating; the stories of royal mistresses through the ages. If you like history, it was really interesting. I"m reading "The Black Count" now, and it is engrossing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I highly recommend the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. It's 5 books, with a spin-off series in the works. They're definitely different - paranormal stuff, but I adored them. I've read the Arcana books from Kresley Cole on your recommendation (I think?) and this series has a little bit of that same hard-to-describe awesomeness. :) Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete