Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Kids at Work

Last Thursday was Take Your Kids to Work Day at the SEC. Forty-two mini regulators flooded our halls to review public filings, subpoena brokerage records, sniff out insider trading, and attend a mock trial of the Big Bad Wolf for harassment of the Three Little Pigs.

There was also some word practice:


And some very important coloring of a rhinoceros.


The kiddos got an excellent idea of what I do all day.

 

You know, the usual snuggling, coloring, climbing a rope jungle gym, and afternoon nap taking.

 

Two of the women in my office made these t-shirts on their own dime by ironing on copies of the SEC seal. Landon LOVES his and wore it to school the very next day.

 

Claire was supposed to take a nap while Landon did the scavenger hunt (Claire generally refused to leave my office without my accompaniment and was perfectly content to sit and color and talk to me all day). She got her nap mat all arranged, had her baby tucked under her arm and would then pop her head up and exclaim, "I taking a nap!!" any time someone walked in my office.

 

 

There was no actual sleeping, and very little work was done (though I did have a call with an opposing counsel partner at a major NY law firm in which Claire's voice could be heard saying "Hi!!! Mommy I want to talk to Gigi too." She associates the phone entirely with my mother), and I still don't think the kids have any idea what I do at my job, but it was a very fun day topped off with a stop at Chuy's happy hour for a round of waters, free queso, and some enchiladas for me!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun day! Forty-two mini regulators must have brought a youthful vibe to the office.

    Kate @ BJJ, Law, and Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so much fun. Either way, its good for them to have a positive association with your work! Were on earth did you get that nap mat? It's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etsy! Both kids have one and we use them for 2 years at school and almost every time we travel. They roll up into a nice little roll with a strap so they can carry it themselves. They also play house and "camping" with them most weekends :).

      Delete
    2. Would you mind saying which etsy vendor you purchased the mats from??

      JLV

      Delete
  3. Soooo freakin cute!!! Claire is just a hoot!!! I have a request. Is there a way to put a tab on top of your blog for your recipes? You have posted so many good ones and it would be fabulous to have an easy way for your readers to retrieve them! Hope you are feeling well!

    Patty from TX

    ReplyDelete
  4. They grow more gorgeous every time you post pictures. And I love how proud Landon is of his shirt! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not like you to go so long without posting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and it bothers me to have big gaps! I've been traveling again (DC last week, Chicago last Fri-Sun, Houston tomorrow-Thurs) and every night I have either been packing, gone, or going to bed early to recover :). I'll try to post tonight before I leave again!

      Delete