Thursday, March 15, 2012

Home the First

We have cable! We're closing tomorrow morning! We're moving tomorrow... sometime. We're unpacking tomorrow night super late!

Fort Worth: New Adventure 2012 is a GO.



Which means we have to say goodbye to this house, our first house. When we moved in, Landon was 11 months old and I was studying for the Bar (or not studying, depending on the day). JP got his MBA, started a business, ended a business, looked for work, found work. I was pregnant again- quite unhappily at first- and then we met our beautiful baby Claire. Landon learned to walk- learned to do pretty much everything- and fell in love with his baby sister. It's been a good 4 years. Some ups and downs of course, but overall, quite good. I'll miss it, this lovely stone house and our wonderful neighborhood, but I think I'll miss the time we spent here even more. But oh am I excited about our next stop.

And in other good news, beyond the existence of internet in our house and the potential of our owning it by noon tomorrow, JP had his performance review today and got super high marks and a much bigger bonus than we expected! I'm so, so happy for him. Not only is the money coming at a really good time (renovations! JP's dream for a fire pit in the backyard may come to fruition), but he was so tickled and proud and excited... I'm just so happy for him. I got all teary when I read his performance review tonight and I could see him watching me with a proud smile he was trying to keep off his face. Much kissing followed. Man did I miss him.

I drove home without stopping tonight, barely staying with my "don't go more than 8 mph over the speed limit" rule, because I was overwhelmed by the need to see and touch and hold my family. I spent 3 nights away, really 4 nights given how early I left Monday morning, and I was fine. It was the longest I'd even been away from them, but everything was so busy with the new job, new house, big move, and new trilogy, that I felt like I was living in some sort of twilight zone with no time to miss anybody. But once I got on I-35 towards Austin, I suddenly couldn't stand it. I needed them. I called JP and begged him to keep the kids up until 8. I pulled in the driveway at 7:53 and flew up the stairs calling their names. Landon ran out to give me a hug, and Claire followed close behind, clutching a flashlight under one arm and a firetruck book under the other. I will never forget her face as she turned the corner and saw me- it was excitement to see me, sadness to realize I'd been gone, panic at not knowing what to do with all these emotions... even now I can't get it it out of my mind and can't stop alternatively wanting to laugh and tear up at how overwhelmed she looked. She dropped the firetruck book for faster land speed (kept the flashlight though, practical girl) and launched herself at me.

I really missed them. After we put the kiddos to bed, I spent about 60 minutes talking non-stop to JP. It appears I might have been lonely. It's nice to be home, which really, is wherever JP, Landon, and Claire are.

Which tomorrow, will be in Fort Worth!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job, new home, selling the previous home (no small feat at this point in time), and on the great job review/bonus.
    I think you do a great job of appreciating your family .... and not taking their existence for granted.
    Blessings on this new point in your lives ... I look forward to seeing how you settle in/decorate the new home.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! So glad everything is working out so well! I had the same feeling after my trip to San Francisco. I was fine until it was time to go home and then it was like "CAN'T THIS PLANE GO ANY FASTER?!" Good luck on the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. When you mentioned that you've been in Austin for 4 years, it dawned on me that if I've been reading your blog since you were in Chicago, then I've been reading about you and your family for longer than I have known my husband and his family. My mind is officially blown.

    Also mind blowing - Hi Janine! I read Janine's blog and I didn't find your blogs through each other. I just happened to see you both commenting on the other's blog and this is just WEIRD.

    Man, it doesn't take much to blow me away on a Friday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long time lurker, first time poster -- FFIW, I think this is your greatest post yet! Looking forward to lots more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be so hard to say goodbye to your first house but there is so much excitement, hopefully all those emotions will even out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Home is whenever I'm with you" :)

    ReplyDelete