Friday, March 19, 2010

28 weeks (measuring 31 weeks) and counting


The belly, it is growing. I am 28 weeks along which means my baby is officially viable with a "90% chance of entering Kindergarten with no ill effects from her premature birth." So you know, a nice bench mark, but she better not have any plans on exiting anytime soon. My perinatal nurse practitioner, whom I have come to love and will actually miss dearly once our weekly chats are over, is very pleased with my progress and lack of labor symptoms. My belly has been steadily measuring 2-3 weeks ahead, which she assures me is probably just evidence of a big baby, like her brother (who was 7 lbs. 7 oz. and 21 inches long at 5 weeks early, and my dates were right), and not reflective of the number of cookies I ate during the month of February (Valentine's AND my birthday; it's a month full of sugary landmines that I willingly throw myself upon).

Due to an unusual amount of free time at work, I've been very productive on the baby preparation front. Her beautiful birth announcement has been designed by my talented friend and awaits the insertion of details and pictures, and the addresses of family and friends have been gathered and printed out on labels. (Side note: when my friend sent me an image of the announcement I immediately started crying at my desk; I'm having a baby!) Her baby book has been purchased and the pages I can fill out ahead of time are done. I pushed JP up the stairs on Wednesday and Thursday nights to hang up everything in the nursery and it looks so pretty. I just need to get a curtain panel cut in half and re-sewn and then it will be complete! Landon loves to go in there and keeps sticking his toys through the slats in the crib "for the baby". We've also set up the new changing table in our bedroom downstairs, have the co-sleeper waiting in the corner, and the little changing table baskets filled with the necessary newborn accessories. Her closet is empty except for this adorable Swedish/Spring inspired dress which I saw while shopping for summer t-shirts for Landon and absolutely had to have, even if she won't wear it for another year:


I'm totally over the novelty of being pregnant, not that I was really into it the first time around. In fact I pretty much hate the whole process and believe me, if JP could grow a baby, he'd be the one wearing the elastic pants this time around. But having a baby who turned blue in my arms about 3 seconds after he was born and then spent 12 days in the NICU has given me an adjusted perspective and I'm grateful for every day my belly gets bigger, my belly button looks a little stranger, and my baby girl continues to appropriate most of my body's resources for herself. I may still complain, and at 35 weeks I may be superficially wistful when I remember that last time I was done right about then, but I will be grateful.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, girl, where do you get the energy? My poor second child (only 3 weeks behind yours in gestation) is definitely getting no attention from me at this point! You've inspired me to boot my older son out of his crib and prepare it for boy # 2, and pull out the old baby clothes. I'm a little ahead of you in the game simply by virtue of having a same sex sibling, but you are kicking my butt as far as efforts expended for your little girl! :) Way to go, I know she'll be a great addition to your little household.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you tend to dislike posing for "belly pictures", but you really look anything but awkward in your photo! Yay! ;)Very cute.

    Also, love the Swedish colors. I hear you on that one; my dad is especially fond of incorporating them into his home (and life generally) whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look so pretty! and sporting cute shoes at 28 weeks. inspirational. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. Any progress on the name front? I remember you were having trouble with girl names.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hanah! She's named (!) though we're not sharing it until after she's born, just in case. But it is a relief to be able to refer to her as something other than baby girl :)

    And Gillian my productivity is mostly stemming from the fact that I'm truly not very busy at work and the fact that Landon's birth took me so much by surprise that we had nothing ready and I'm determined to have nothing to do but wait in the last few weeks this time around! Congrats on your baby boy, I bet it's going to be so fun to have the two of them running around together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot BELIEVE how much you've already done in preparation! The baby book? My son is 18 months and i haven't started his baby book- i have all the info, I just havent recorded it in the book yet! OMG, I am so amazed! and really, you look amazing! I wish I looked that good when I was pregnant- babies look good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed - you look awesome. And I'm so impressed that you're rocking heels!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you are doing so well and that your daughter is perking along nicely. I understand all the nesting in advance, but now you'll have extra time on your hands... No early bird this time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey LL! I found the same dress (by accident) after reading your blog! From reading your blog for a few years, I am guessing you're a bargain shopper like me too...did you know the dress is now marked down to $9.75 @ children's place?

    Just thought you might want to know that!

    Excellent blog by the way...and I love the new fashion blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Anon! And no I did not know it was $9.75! Hmm, I wonder if I'm still within the window for a price adjustment if I take it back. I got it 15% off but you did much better. Although I'd have to accept the risk of walking back in to Children's Place and finding more adorable things she needs...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ordered the dress online earlier today. Only $5 shipping no matter what and they are having a great 50% off spring clothes right now.

    I think the 15% expired around the 16th or so...just in time for them to run this big sale I guess!

    Children's Place is hard to walk in and out of without purchasing, I agree!

    Anon 2:35
    aka Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness I see this dress everywhere! Must be the dress of the season, it is super cute.

    ReplyDelete