Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Pretty Lights

One of the most wonderful things about this holiday season has been Landon's overewhelming excitement over every part of it. He's old enough to know something special is happening, but too young to know he's supposed to expect presents at the end of it all. There is such an innocence about his joy that it has made things I've long since stopped finding impressive suddenly more exciting than I ever remembered.

Take Christmas lights. They're pretty, I like them, but I can't remember when I last stopped my car to exclaim over them. But now I find myself pointing them out to Landon like I've never seen mini lights on a string before.

I didn't realize it, but apparently I frequently refer to the lights as "so pretty" when Landon is in the car. Friday, when Landon and I were walking around our circle to admire the lights he stopped in front of one very decorated house and said reverently, "Is it so pretty mama?" And as I stood next to my little man, I honestly thought it was one of the prettiest things I'd ever seen.

We decorated our tree a few nights ago. It's not a very big tree, but I think it's very handsome.



Landon was so excited about the ornament placement- another thing I'd forgotten was so fun. He fell hard for a red ball and kept moving it from one branch to another. Then he pointed out every ornament for me to name, over and over, until it was time for bed.



Tonight we visited a home in our neighborhood, the self-dubbed "Griswold Family Trail of Lights." It was awesome. Landon nearly passed out from excitement. And I got a huge kick out of their next-door neighbor's decoration.



The trail went all the way through the family's backyard and side yard. I promised Landon we'd go back every night until Christmas. As we drove away he said, mostly to himself I think, "It was so pretty."

5 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I love the Ditto sign, that's hilarious. I really enjoy seeing the lights, and Cora absolutely adores them, but I'd rather not have Santa's landing strip next door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Love the ditto sign! How clever.

    Also am glad mine is not the only child who hangs around in nothing but a diaper on occasion. We've actually had friends over before like that come to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! "Ditto", that is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of Landon in his diaper! I know that's weird to say about somebody else's kid, but one of my favorite things about toddlers is how they just run around in their underwear without a second thought (and decide to have a dance party in the grocery store, spin around in circles in the middle of the sidewalk, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen a picture on the internet of the "ditto" house, and I love that you live by them!! How fun!

    I anticipate one of the best things about having a young child will be seeing things (like Christmas) through their innocent eyes. I'm very excited for that! :)

    ReplyDelete