Friday, May 22, 2009

Full

I just put Landon to bed. We read our current favorite books, he snuggled into my neck as I hummed "You Are My Sunshine" and he whispered "nigh nigh" repeatedly in my ear. He curled up in his crib, puppy under one arm, and as I covered him in a blanket knit by my grandmother he made loud kissing sounds. I closed the door with a heart so full and happy I wasn't at all bothered by the fact that I have a million things to do before I go to bed myself.

This has been a very full week- it gave me fodder for a dozen blog posts, but no time to write them. I billed 12 hours on Monday, though I still had my obligatory 2.5 hours off in the evening with Landon. On Tuesday I left work at 4:30 to attend a new associate dinner at the managing partner's 800+ acre ranch outside Austin. It involved 7 courses, approximately 20 utensils (including a "marrow spoon" - a first for me), and thousands of dollars of the managing partner's prize wine collection. JP and I got back around 11:30 and I woke up hungover on a Wednesday morning for the first time since my freshman year of college. On Wednesday I left my laptop at work for the first time in months, met up with friends at the park with Landon, and then celebrated my big night off by painting his big boy room until 1 a.m. I can't even describe how little I wanted to do that and how much I wanted to sit on the couch, but I knew it was the only night we'd have free before we have company next weekend and I wanted to get it done. JP and I had closed the door so that Lilly wouldn't rub up against wet paint and when we stumbled out 3 hours later I had developed a splitting headache from the paint fumes, so Thursday morning involved a hangover of sorts as well.

Last night I hung out with two old college friends and drank daquiris and today I escaped work for two hours to attend a graduation party for an old family friend I've known since she was 1. I generally feel pretty young, but seeing her so poised and pretty and grown-up when I remember her learning to walk suddenly made me feel old. But I couldn't be happier for her and it was so wonderful to see her whole family. I felt all warm and fuzzy for the rest of the afternoon at work. I have multiple adopted parents and grandparents, but they are my true "other" parents and have been since we moved in across the street in 1988.

Tonight we finish painting Landon's room because tomorrow morning Landon and I will be on a plane to Houston, with JP and the dogs meeting us at the lake house later on in the afternoon. I'm going to spend 2 full days relaxing, laughing, and NOT working. I haven't been home since December and I'm very excited about this little trip- and then next Friday three of my best friends from law school fly in from NYC and DC!

So life is full. I haven't turned on my TV or personal laptop in six days, but I couldn't be happier. It makes me unsure what to write about. I think blog posts that just detail a person's day (like this one) aren't particularly interesting but I don't know what else to say, and waxing poetic about how happy I am or how much I like my job doesn't seem much better. I have deeper thoughts, about my career and the flux between what I want and what I'm not willing to give up for it, about Landon and how shocked I was to realize the other day that he's almost two, and about marriage and the dynamic between two people with separate ambitions and demands on their time. But I don't know when to write about any of that. So you end up with no posts or a post full of nothing.

7 comments:

  1. I don't think posts like this are full of nothing - it's full of what's filling your life, and important lovely things like family time. I pretty much like all posts that people put up. I mean, I don't waste my time on posts that go: 8:30 ate half a grapefruit 8:31 remembered I hate grapefruit, and so on...
    But this isn't like that! I say, post whatever you have time to post and whatever you feel like posting! We'll still be here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What they said. And that I am so amazed at your energy - just reading about billing 12 hours Monday makes me tired (let alone the rest of your week). Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow- that new associate's dinner sounds amazing! Your life sure IS full :) I don't know how you fit it all in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chere is right- you are incredibly fascinating, what with balancing a baby boy, a hubby, work and the obligatory work 'social' events!! what us baby lawyers are waiting for lol- I see American lawyers can also throw them back- I thought that was just the English lawyers (notorious big drinkers)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this post reminds me of the book The Joys of Much too Much...I think we all aspire to have lives so full of things we want but most wouldn't be able to make it work as well as you seem to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm anxious to - sometime - hear the other stories you have percolating. The ones in my head, that I'm too busy to write, are about kids' imaginations and our soon-to-be foray into our parish school.

    Someday...!

    ReplyDelete