Thursday, March 5, 2009

Escapism

There's a lot swimming around in my head about work, money, the economy, and mothering, but it all seems rather heavy and I don't yet feel like ordering my thoughts to write about them. So instead I bring you a fluffy discussion on the glories of fluffy novels.

Since I started my job I've been reading a lot more. I used to turn the TV on just to have it on after Landon went to bed, but now I watch about 4 shows a week (Top Chef, which just ended with no Project Runway to start up again, The Office, 30 Rock, and the Desperate Housewives/Brothers & Sisters combo because I like sitting down on the couch on Sunday evenings and JP secretly loves watching them with me) and spend the rest of my off-duty mom time curled up on the couch reading. And not reading anything intelligent or work-related, in fact, I read less news and legal publications than I did in law school- now, it's all about escape. Most recently I've been journeying to 18th Century Scotland, via Diana Gabaldon's Outlander (my favorite book series ever, well, besides maybe Harry Potter, but it's too different to compare), to early 19th Century America with Sara Donati's Into the Wilderness, or to England's king and courts through Philippa Gregory. I don't want to read anything that makes me think- so far, I don't even want to read anything I haven't already read before. I've been flipping through worn pages, skipping ahead to favorite parts, and getting lost in a world without Blackberries or document review (or hot running water or a woman's right to vote, but we're not nit picking here).

I love leaning about another time- while all those books are categorized as "historical romances" the reason they're my favorites is because they're heavy on the historical- well researched and rich with detail. I hate the shallow, typical romance novels with the same plot line that always ends tied in a bow with the brave, rich hero and the beautiful, young heroine triumphing over some misunderstanding that kept them apart for 100 irritating pages. The Outlander series is my favorite because it is one of the few series I've read (Harry Potter being another) where everything fits together perfectly book after book. There's no plot lines discarded halfway through, no repetition in dialogue or plot, and despite a span of more than twenty years the characters and their relationships remain lively. It takes the author about 3-4 years to write each book and you can tell. The 6th came out two weeks before I started law school in 2005 and the 7th comes out this September, I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Sometimes I feel guilty that I'm not reading anything that challenges me, but I need a way to unwind at the end of the day and thumbing through a well-worn paperback seems healthier than a few of the alternatives. It's hard for me to start anything new because I have a bad habit of staying up all night to finish a book. I'm a very fast reader and it's so hard to stop when I keep promising myself "just a few more pages"- JP has come out to the living room at 4 a.m. to find me still sitting on the couch speed-reading through the final few pages. When I need to get up for work (or school or swim practice) a few hours later I'm furious with myself for not just closing the book and going to bed, but then I'll do it again with the next one, which is why I stopped reading almost entirely during high school and college. But now reading is back and I'm determined to exert slightly more self-control (though I did stay up till 2:30 last week finishing Dragonly in Amber, a book I've read at least three times before. Ridiculous, I know), so if you have any suggestions of books that will be entertaining but not too thought-provoking, please share!

A few of my other favorites are Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen (the sequel Now Face to Face wasn't nearly as good, but the recently published prequel Dark Angels was fantastic). The Angelique series is amazing but very hard to find (and usually expensive when you do)- if you can read French you'll actually be able to finish the story as the last few books were never translated to English (and if you do, you must tell me what happens!). There's more I'm sure, but I can't think of them at the moment. I haven't had a lot of time to read over the past several years, but it's once again become an important part of my evening routine.

24 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Outlander series too. I've gotten my mom and most of my friends hooked on it. I am a historian, and usually I dislike historical fiction, but this series is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. try Sharon Kay Penman (nice fat historical fiction!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Sharon Kay Penman? I LOVE her books. I reviewed a few of them on Goodreads if you want to get a feel for them. The Welsh series is really great (starting wtih Here Be Dragons) and I just finished Sunne in Splendour. Right now I'm starting her series on Eleanor of Aquitaine.

    Another suggestion is Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor. It is really good - Gone with the Wind good - and set in Restoration England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of one more recommendation for you in the historical romance genre: Katherine by Anya Seton. If you haven't read this it is a MUST read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read Forever Amber, for some reason I didn't think of it in my list of favorites, I think because I'm a sucker for a series, but it was excellent.

    Thanks for the suggestions so far, I need to get ordering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try Tracy Chevalier, if you haven't already. Girl with a Pearl Earring is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you like historical romances, I recommend Edward Rutherford (Princes of Ireland is particularly good; London is also quite good), who is quite heavy on the history, and Rosalind Miles' Guinevere series, which is rather heavy on the romance (based more on well-researched literary history than actual history).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you like Philippa Gregory, you might want to try Alison Weir. Very very similar style, but focuses on some story lines skimmed over by Gregory. Anita Shreve is another guilty pleasure read of mine. It's not a series, but she often has characters pop up in different books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have any recommendations, mostly because we don't seem to read the same genres (I will check out that Outlander series though to see if it piques my interest), but I am looking forward to taking a semester off from my current course of studies so I can spend my evenings lost in one of the many unread books sitting on my nightstand. I haven't allowed myself to read a book for months now because I think I was almost afraid I'd forget all that economic theory that's been floating around in my grey matter...I cannot wait to get to that exam next week, spit it all out on the page and be done with it all for three months!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm the same way with books - I always end up staying up way too late and finishing them in 1-2 sittings. Between that and law school, the only time I read for pleasure any more is when I'm on break.

    Speaking of which, Outlander sounds really good. Can I borrow the first book or two to make with me on my cruise?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Diana Gabaldon and Philippa Gregory. And I would like to recommend Charles Todd's Inspector Rutledge series its set in post WWI England- its brilliant!
    Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree about sometimes needing "fluff" reading. You might try some of Morgan Llewellyn's historical fiction - Finn MacCool, Druids, Lion of Ireland - I've enjoyed them in the past.

    I've heard so many people talk about the Outlander series, that I might have to give it a try one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm the same way...about reading to "escape" and reading fast. I'd never heard of any of these books/authors (aside from Philippa Gregory) - I might have to check some of them out.
    I do read French, so maybe I'll try and locate some of those Angelique books...
    Speaking of reading, I'm off to do some of the NOT so fun kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you like fun and well researched historical novels, I'm going to break genres and recommend Connie Willis's novel Doomsday Book. It made me cry and books never make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I JUST got a Kindle and am SOO so excited. When I've finished my Toni Morrison and Christopher Moore books I have lined up, I'll check out the Outlander series. It sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh, yes, I love Katherine by Anya Seton.

    I remember when in law school, I went to a Women Lawyers' Association Meeting (it was still quite new then), and one of the lawyers said that at the end of the day she was too tired to read anything but Mills and Boon.

    I think she may have been a literature graduate.

    I know for me, when I was reading all day, it wasn't recreational to have to concentrate on a book in the evening. I saved long books for holidays by the sea, or travels in foreign countries. I can only read Dickens when in Germany - starved of English and words by day - I can soak 18th century London up by night.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I second Girl with Pearl Earring too.

    And, if you can get it on one of your Texan TV channels, you might like the show "Who do you think you are?" by the BBC, for another kind of history come alive stories.

    It takes a Brit celeb and traces their ancestry.

    What put me in mind is that Nigella Lawson's family lived in Amsterdam (I think around the Girl with Pearl Earring time - although that was set in Bruges)

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you haven't, you must read Pillars of the Earth - my all time favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Georgette Heyer. Omg, if you haven't already read her--well, I'm shocked and jealous of all the *wonderful* new books you have ahead of you. One of my all-time favorite authors (and now my secret love of the fluffy novel is out).

    She always has a really smart heroine in her books. (Okay, we can debate the point in "The Convenient Marriage," but still.) And the heroes always love that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I gave you an award!

    http://missmorganhope.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Also a huge Phillipa Gregory fan. I've been reading a lot of Pride and Prejudice "sequels" if you like Jane Austen. Some are hysterical, some very romantic but its interesting to see the different points of view on how that story would have continued. I know its a "tween" book but the Twilight series is excellent and very popular right now. I thought I would hate it but loved it and have read the entire series (4 books) twice. Karen Harper has a series on Elizabeth the 1st that I am enjoying. Elizabeth Aston is good in the Jane Austen sequel genre. And if you really want some fluff, the Shopaholics series by Sophia Kinsella. I will look into Outlanders.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you are missing Project Runway, you should YouTube Project Runway Canada. They are in the middle of the 2nd season right now and the show is almost as good as the US version. It fills my need for a Project Runway fix!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My mom, my aunt, and I were basically married to the Outlander series for a few years. My mom called my sister and I her wee bairns all the time. It was pretty funny. I know exactly what you mean about the details and the way the plots work. I always appreciated how well Gabaldon researched.

    ReplyDelete