Sunday, February 24, 2008

Baby Beluga in the Deep Blue... Aquaruim

If you didn't start singing along with that title then you need more Raffi in your life. I love his silly songs and "Baby Beluga" was always a favorite growing up. Last night JP and I had a delightful dinner at Quartino, an Italian tapas-like restaurant "where the wine is cheaper than water and the pizza is the finest". We love ordering lots of different dishes and drinking lots of cheap wine, so this place was perfect. I wore a very sexy dress loaned from a friend and felt like an almost twenty-five year old woman rather than an almost twenty-five year old mom. We spent 2+ hours eating way too much and drinking just the right amount. It was wonderful.

(Yes, the title does relate to the post, I'm getting there.) Yesterday afternoon JP surprised me by taking me ice skating (so fun!) and promised that my big birthday gift was also something unique to Chicago (well, unique as in we couldn't do it in Austin). When I opened my card at dinner I found out I was going to be a "Trainer for a Day" at the Shedd Aquarium! I am SO excited!! I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was little and have remained fascinated with the ocean and sea life. I'm a licensed scuba diver but haven't been since high school because JP has broken ears (well, there's a more technical name for the problem, but that's what I take away from his explanations) and can't handle the underwater pressure. But on March 8th I will be reunited with a few sea creatures. I'll arrive before the Aquarium opens, don rubber boots and a special "trainer for a day" t-shirt, and follow the real trainers around for four hours. I get to feed the belugas, dolphins, and sea lions and take part in the Oceanarium show (JP and Landon will be in the audience). I think I'm the girl who throws fish to the animals when they do what they're supposed to do- yay!!

Landon and I went to the aquarium this past Friday to check out the fish and hopefully he'll find it more interesting when his mommy is one of trainers.


Actually he had a good time, but dancing with joy in front of the penguin habitat for thirty minutes completely wore him out. Think he'll be generous and let his mommy sleep in past 5 AM on her birthday tomorrow? Based on his runny nose, fussiness, and potential third ear infection this month, I think probably not.


But I get to pet a beluga in two weeks!!!

14 comments:

  1. Awww...sounds like an incredible birthday. I can't wait to see pictures of the aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! That's awesome! Dinner sounds like it was perfect! And I'm a bit jealous that you get to be a Trainer for a Day at the Shedd Aquarium! We want pictures! :D

    I sure hope Landon gets better, too, poor guy. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Golden birthday tomorrow! I just turned 25, too, and I'm a law student also. No baby for me yet though...you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't thought about belugas since I was pregnant . . . at that time, I resembled one, except that I wasn't cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, JP called me "his beluga" when I was pregnant. I wanted to hate it, but he had such a big smile on his face when he said it, and he was so full of complements most of the time, that I couldn't be mad. So I embraced the nickname, but I strictly enforced the name's expiration date of Landon's birth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect gift for a Pisces!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday!! Hope you got to sleep in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday!!! And what a great gift! It sounds like tons of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh! that's awesome! your husband wins like 100 husband points! One time at Shedd Aquarium, I was chewing gum and leaning over the dolphin tank. One of the dolphins got close and I was hysterical- my gum fell right out of my mouth and into the tank. I never heard of any dolphins getting sick though, phew.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the coolest gift ever. I am so jealous... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! This was my birthday weekend, too!

    Sounds like you had a great time - it was fun to read about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great husband. Sounds like an awesome day. Hope the little guy gets well soon. Those ear infections are no fun!

    ReplyDelete