Sunday, May 20, 2007

Jon Stewart study break

I only got through 1/3 of my Rhetoric of Race outline yesterday (in order to have any chance of finishing my Public Land outline, I had to finish Race), but I still headed out to Rosemont with JP to see the Jon Stewart show. After getting used to seeing him dressed up and suave-like on the Daily Show set it was funny to see him in khakis and a long sleeved t-shirt alone on a blank stage. He did some general stand up and a lot of political stuff. I love his humor because it's smart- I find myself withing that the very people he's mocking would listen to him and take note. Two of my favorite quotes of the night (I really wish I could remember more):
  • "It's not torture, it's freedom tickling" when referring to the administration's knack for re-phrasing some of their more evil doings
  • "Why are they so afraid of this so called 'Gay Agenda'? What do the gays want? To get married and serve in the army. Yeah... damn hippies!"

The second one really hit home with me- what are people so afraid of? What is the gay agenda? They want to do two relatively conservative things. I have a LOT more to say on this topic as it's one I'm quite passionate about, but it'll have to wait until this summer when I have more time. Besides, by that point my blogging will be rather repetitive- I can't talk about work, I'll be hot all the time, I'll continue to be freaked out by how huge I'm getting, and I'll be constantly missing JP, so a nice post about gay rights will spice things up a bit.

Back to the futility that is my outlining.

3 comments:

  1. I really think that when people say "gay agenda" they think it's to spread gayness to heterosexuals all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did have a rebuttal to that - something about how "Minds can be convinced, hearts can be swayed, but the d*ck.. it is very stubborn."

    But yeah, that probably is closer to what people mean, which is completely ridiculous- do they really have so little faith in their heterosexuality?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wikipedia to the rescue

    The homosexual agenda, aka gay agenda, is "a term coined by some social conservatives in the United States to describe the goal of increasing LGBT acceptance through public policies, media exposure, and cultural change. The term is most often employed by social conservatives in debates over LGBT rights in the United States."

    References:
    - James Dobson "describes the homosexual agenda as follows: Those goals include universal acceptance of the gay lifestyle, discrediting of scriptures that condemn homosexuality, muzzling of the clergy and Christian media, granting of special privileges and rights in the law, overturning laws prohibiting pedophilia, indoctrinating children and future generations through public education, and securing all the legal benefits of marriage for any two or more people who claim to have homosexual tendencies."
    - Justice Scalia wrote in his dissent in the landmark case Lawrence v. Texas that the "law-profession culture... has largely signed on to the so-called homosexual agenda, by which I mean the agenda promoted by some homosexual activists directed at eliminating the moral opprobrium that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct."

    So much I'd like to add, but I'll sum it up with "ARGH!" and continue my outlining.

    ReplyDelete