Thursday, November 9, 2006

Elections!!!

It's official!!

The Democrats have control of the House and the Senate! I've been waiting to write about election day post until the results were official, and at 2pm Allen conceded the Virginia race. I am so happy for so many reasons. First and foremost I believe that a change in leadership is a good thing. The Republicans have been in charge of everything for too long. The system is set up to work with checks and balances and no one has been checking them. Second, the Democrats know they won because so many Republicans voters were completely fed up. This means they have two years to prove they won't screw up and they can be trusted. Both parties are really in check - the Republicans because the Democrats have the majority, and the Democrats because they don't want to lose the majority in two years. Third, Rumseld was immediately removed from his position - I think that one is pretty self explanatory. And fourth, Bush is a lameduck president. I think he's done enough damage. In the words of the EU Parliament's joint statement: "This is the beginning of the end of a six year nightmare."

I am really looking forward to what the next few years hold. I hope the Democrats perform well and don't gloat (too much). Beating the Republicans over the head with their defeat and new minority position will only upset the Republicans who voted Democrat in this election. I'm also very interested to see how the 2008 presidential hopefuls will shape up. It's an exciting time in politics!

No comments:

Post a Comment